[nagdu] Literature about guide dogs

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Sun Feb 10 17:04:24 UTC 2013

Hi Cristel.
This question came up a couple years ago, too.  I don't think there's a lot
written about it.  There's a bit in First Lady of the Seeing Eye, and
mentions in a few other places. I think there's a bit in a Disney movie
about Morris Frank, if you can take a Disney movie seriously.
We got the rights we have today because, starting with Morris Frank, people
worked their butts off to get them.  Morris travelled the country, educating
people about Seeing Eye dogs and working to get them accepted everywhere.
He talked to friends, business associates, and legislators.  He got media
people interested.  He got one of the big radio personalities of the time
interested, and that person talked to his audience about how great guide
dogs are.
I'm sure a lot of less well-known people worked on access rights in the same
way, demonstrating how the dog helped them and talking to people about
changing laws.  Now we have the laws, but the work still goes on.  Part of
what NAGDU does is to advocate for better laws, and to work with people
whose access rights have been denied.
I think sometimes people take our rights for granted, or think they were
given to us by the government or something, but the truth is that our rights
were gained by a lot of people working on it for a long time, and that work
is still going on.
Tracy