[nagdu] Literature about guide dogs

Lyn Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Sun Feb 10 21:27:32 UTC 2013

Hi Cristel,
Have you read the book, "Love In The Lead" by Peter Putnam?  It is a history
of The Seeing Eye, the school I got my dog at.  It is also a story of the
modern guide dog movement in the United States but it spans Switzerland and
Germany.  The book talks about how life was for the blind in the U.S. in the
1920s - realities and attitudes of the sighted towards the blind.  Attitudes
of the agencies serving the blind towards the new concepts of actual
independence of blind people  - mobility in particular.  If you haven't read
this, I highly recommend it.  I don't know where you can get it in Estonia
but it is available here in the U.S. on cassette.  It may be on Bookshare or
places like that who have audio books.

Search the Internet for The Seeing Eye in Morristown, New Jersey, USA. They
have a very informaitve website.

I have had my past four dogs from The Seeing Eye.  Right now I have Landon,
a red Lab/Golden cross who is seven years old.  We live in San Diego, CA.
We have three guide dog schools here in California but I like The Seeing Eye
best.

Each of our states have laws regarding guide dogs and there is the national
disability rights law called the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) which
was passed by our Congress in 1990 and signed into law by President George
W. Bush. The law isn't perfect, but what is in life?

Good luck in your studies.

Lyn and Landon

"Asking who's the man and who's the woman in an LGBT relationship is like
asking which chopstick is the fork" - Unknown