[nagdu] Just heard on news12 last night that Congresswoman Gabby Giffords has a dog from GDF continued

Jenine Stanley jeninems at wowway.com
Thu Feb 14 17:13:11 UTC 2013

To answer both Tammy and Rebecca and give some more info:

First, I can't elaborate on Ms. Giffords' particular dog and his specific
training as that's confidential, as it is for all of our graduates.

I can explain though how guide tasks are taught to our service dogs and
under what circumstances. All dogs taught guiding tasks are taught
intelligent disobedience and stopping at any change in elevation. This means
stopping at curbs. Yes, totally flat curbs are problematic, but they are for
all guide dog handlers.

Some of the guiding tasks we use for our handlers who are not legally blind
include:

The follow command for those people who need assistance navigating
complicated places like airports. This involves people whose senses may shut
down in complex environments due to over stimulation.

"Let's Go" which is equivalent to the guide dog command "Outside" and is
used to direct a dog to take the person outside and away from a distressing
situation safely.

This command is really important for people with Post Traumatic Stress
Disorder who experience panic attacks and can sometimes become either
immobile or run and tend to not be able to pay attention to their
surroundings. They can give the dog the "Let's Go" command and the dog can
smoothly guide them outside, say from a store, mall or public event.

One handler told me that this has really changed his life. Before he applied
to get a dog, he had stopped going into some local businesses because when
he had a PTSD episode, he had rushed out, knocking over displays or people,
or he had ended up prone on the floor unable to move. It was profoundly
embarrassing. With his dog, he can simply issue the command, even close his
eyes if he wants, and follow the dog outside. It's elegant.

The other type of work that resembles guide work in that it utilizes the
dog's pull is called counter balancing. This is when the dog walks slightly
ahead of the person to maintain positive tension on the harness handle. For
someone like Ms. Giffords who has difficulty standing straight up, having
the dog pull forward as she walks with him does help her to stand straight.
For other people, this helps them from falling to one side or the other and
helps them move up or down stairs.

Hope that helps everyone to understand the guiding tasks. The key factors
though in any of these tasks are that the dog avoid obstacles and exercise
intelligent disobedience no matter what the disability or degree of vision
loss or difficulty.

Jenine Stanley
jeninems at wowway.com
http://www.twitter.com/jeninems