[nagdu] New dog... Err.. Not-so-new, now!

Jen&Nixon jenandnixon at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 00:07:47 UTC 2013

*Note, I ended up being long-winded!*

Well, Marsha asked for it, so thught I'd do it publicly instead, so all is
aware... I tend to read the group more since I'm always "fur"ever behind
messages, I run my own business plus have two volunteer jobs (volunteer
resources coordination is my main duties at both places, Red Cross and
Canadian Cancer Society). I have other minor stuff I do as well and live at
my own place after so many years with my parents for so long until an
apartment came along, which was a complete fluke! I had watched the building
get constructed beside the Red Cross I volunteer at; which originally was
going to be for seniors, until they opened up the application for people
with disabilities... I was on a house-sit job in April 2012, saw the ad in
the paper, shared the information with my mother, who couldn't grab the
article fast enough and pull out her phone fast enough in sheer
excitement... LOL! A month later, I was packing up moving! April was also
the month I found out there was a suitable match for me, for Dog #3. Nixon
retired in February 2012. My chaotic lifestyle wasn't going well for Nixon
and he was getting up in age as well (He'll be 10 in May). I unpacked and
make sure all was ready before I left for San Rafael, in two weeks. I was
pretty much burnt out after three weeks training due to the unexpectedness
of everything that was happening in my life at the time, I even took a week
off from work after I got back from San Rafael.

Training did go well, although due to my knowledge of dog training, I think
I intimidated my instructors, including the apprentice that was matched up
to work with me, who was 7 1/2 months pregnant! I wondered how she was
keeping up with me in class! My stomache couldn't handle the food (we were
staying in the hotel during the new dorm being rebuilt), safety issues, plus
my sinuses acting up to high gear (none of these are an issue at the Oregon
campus, and may request this, even if it takes far longer to find that
suitable dog that best meet my needs and re-train the dog on the right
side). I applied for a new dog in the summer of 2011, when I started to see
signs of Nixon's work starting to slip so started to work him only on a
part-time basis and only routes he knew well and could do well. It was
almost a year before I got a class date due to the Canadian winters, they
don't feel comfortable sending Canadians down, but I am hoping they will
re-consider in the future especially if I narrow the campus down next time
around, as finding that right dog that best fit my needs take time.

Aiken has been trained to guide on my right side. He's a spunky, funny,
stubborn, and absolutely adorable 2-year-old golden / labrador cross. His
personality is the complete opposite of Nixon. Nixon is so mellow and slow
and just takes things in with a grain of salt. Aiken has challenges that I
can work with, due to my dog-training knowledge, and the staff knew I could
handle a dog with the personality he had. Since he's a cross, he does have
the spookiness tendency and stubbornness when it comes to wanting to go one
way, when I really am insistent going the other direction. Since my schedule
is *NEVER* the same each week or even day, he strives so well on that. His
tail *NEVER* stops wagging as he guides me. The bond took quite a while to
kick in compared to Nixon, as it was love at first sight, and we had *NO*
issues what-so-ever. Aiken had some relieving issues, but it has decreased
enough that I can handle it and am able to live with it. He doesn't relieve
indoors, and has learned over time that you don't relieve right in a middle
of a crossing. We are coming up on our anniversary in June as a team, and we
are doing *EXTREMELY* well.

One of my favourite pictures that mother sent me when Aiken went to the
"farm" for a few days while I was on a pet sit job (the dogs when they met
weren't comfortable having Aiken on the premises...), Aiken and Nixon were
curled up on the couch together. It was absolutely adorable. I'm willing to
send it if anyone wants to see it ... there's enough contrast on it for
those who are low vision. Nixon doesn't like to play so Aiken learned early
on, you can't play with him, and Aiken is very playful ... once he does the
labrador loops, he can be under control easily and quickly... lastly, his
house manners are phenomenal! He doesn't touch food at all on my table, or
if I spill his own food on my floor, he will just sit there and stare at me,
"Whatcha do that for???" LOL!

So, there's a novel of Aiken... yes, I know it is funny I have another
famous person's dog name... Richard Nixon and now Clay Aiken. LOL!

Jen McEachen and Aiken
Pampered Critters Pet and House Sitting Services
Prince George, BC
pamperedcritters at gmail.com / www.pamperedcritters.ca
<http://www.pamperedcritters.ca/>
"Like" us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/pamperedcritters