[nagdu] clicker training

Lyn Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Mon Feb 18 19:59:17 UTC 2013

Hi AJ,
I don't know where you live but is there a Humane Society or maybe a PetCo
or PetSmart near you?  These places sometimes offer clicker-training classes
but they do charge for the classes.

Although I don't use it, I do know the basics of doing clicker training.
The above mentioned places do sell the clickers.

Here's how to do it as I read about it in magazines and from a class I took
at the Humane Society:  You know that you reward or correct your dog AS he
is doing the behavior you want or don't want.  And you do it EVERY time your
dog does the desired behavior or give corrections.  Be consistant.  I assume
that you have a school trained dog and I know that most still use the chain
collar.  Hey, owner-trainers on the list please put your two cents worth in
this because I know you guys use clicker training in your own training.

Basically, you get the dog to do a behavior you want by showing him what you
want.  Select a command word that you use every time so the dog will learn
to associate the word with the action you want. When the dog does the
action, you IMMEDIATELY click the clicker and then deliver a small morsel of
food treat.  So it is desired action, boom click and give treat.  And of
course verbal praise.  You do this until the dog is doing the action well.
You start to cut back on the treats - like give one every other click.
Eventually, the dog will do the action on the verbal command without food
treats.  The click has let the dog know that a food treat is coming and he
did the right action to earn the treat.

This is what I know about this topic but I'm sure the owner-trainers know
more than I do because they've done it alot.

Lyn and Landon
"Asking who's the man and who's the woman in an LGBT relationship is like
asking which chopstick is the fork" - Unknown