[nagdu] clicker training

Pickrell, Rebecca M (TASC) REBECCA.PICKRELL at tasc.com
Tue Feb 19 15:18:20 UTC 2013

Makes total sense.
Thank you.

-----Original Message-----
From: nagdu [mailto:nagdu-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Julie J.
Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 10:14 AM
To: NAGDU Mailing List, the National Association of Guide Dog Users
Subject: Re: [nagdu] clicker training

The main difference is that sighted people are watching for very subtle
body movements or the dog looking a certain direction.  For example one
of the first things sighted trainers suggest teaching a dog is for eye
contact.  I tried all sorts of lighting and contrast set ups so I could
see where Belle was looking, but I spent a crazy amount of energy and
mental effort straining to see, that I wasn't very effective with the
clicker part of the process.  Then I tried putting one hand on her head
or neck so I could feel which way she was looking, but this isn't very
effective either.  So I started thinking and talking with other blind
people who were using clicker methods.  They were telling me to skip the
eye contact thing and use a hand target instead.  this made a lot of
sense to me.  As a blind person the dog giving me eye contact isn't
going to be useful in the long run, but the dog touching my hand with
it's nose could be incredibly useful.  So a hand target is what I teach
to substitute for the eye contact thing.  Sighted trainers use eye
contact to get the dog's attention back to the handler.  The hand target
serves the same purpose for me.

When shaping a new behavior I will click when the dog moves toward what
I want.  a sighted trainer might click when the dog looks toward what
the trainer wants.  For the average user in a functional daily situation
I don't think there's much disadvantage to clicking for movement instead
of glances.  Now if you wanted to teach your dog to blink on cue or roll
it's eyes or something like that, say for dogs on TV, well then a blind
trainer is going to have to be more creative than I am!

Julie