[nagdu] Yoga Mountain vs parking meter

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Fri Feb 22 17:45:40 UTC 2013

Tracy,

Hm... Harking back to when Mitzi was an excitable young thing, still in
training, I probably went from yoga mountain to parking meter on a
couple of occasions I can remember. Those were outdoors in
high-stimulation environments, so I really did just have to wait for her
to start to come down before I could hope to work with her. I mean, I
could have cheerfully stomped the fool beast into the ground, but that
wouldn't have gotten me anywhere anyway. So when I was talking about the
puppy pulling, I'm also talking about an adolescent who knows better but
is just too excited. Also, we're just out on the sidewalk where I can
work on getting her attention now that she's got more maturity. If that
makes sense.

So that's different from when the dog is into working and in those
places of public accommodation and so forth that you are talking about.
By that time, the dog should know better, and so should you!

Funny you mention a GDB instructor... A couple of years back, I caught
myself doing the parking meter thing while chatting up a GDB instructor
at a function. He was standing with a refresher trainee having it sit
just as pretty as you please, while I was standing with my dog believing
she was doing the same thing... Until I absently-mindedly put my hand
down to ruffle her topknot... Oh. That explained why I had started
hearing a smirk from the trainer. Why will the sidewalk not open up and
swallow me when I want it to? /lol/ At least Mitzi returned and sat when
I asked her to. That would have been a perfect opportunity for her to
make me look like more of an ass than I already did. There was just no
saving face at that point, but at least I didn't lose what I had left.
So I'm still blushing with mortification! /lol/

Someday I'm going to catch myself chatting away and still keeping track
of my dog... She's less likely to take advantage of my distraction by
now, but you know how it is when the boss isn't looking! /lol/

Tami