[nagdu] new dog, new surroundings, boredom

Marsha Drenth marsha.drenth at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 01:14:01 UTC 2013

Daniel, I have been watching this thread. Do not apologize for the timing of when you recieved your pup and when mother nature decided to snow. If the guide dog school says they have a pup for us, then we must do what we need to do, when we need to do it. I mean that would be as crazy as saying that I should have not got to get my pup right before hurricane Sandy because I then would not be able to travel outside with my pup. How was I suppose to know that Hurricane Sandy was coming. Weather happens, wheather or not we want it to. We just have to learn to deal with it. I have snow on the ground 2 months after I have gotten home with my pup. Guide dog schools are there to give us the skills, not the experience. Have you tried to do some positive conditioning with your pup? Do the route you need to do, use your cane, heal the dog. Use your cane to find where you need to be in regards to the corners. There has to be a permenant landmark. Like pole, fire water thingy, tree, sign, something that would help you line up. If there is snow or ice use those permenant landmarks. Once your lined up, treat the pup, put the pup on a sit, praise, praise. The pup will find the place next time. If you use that landmark, like say a pole, make sure next time your standing next to the pole, praise the pup and even treat if you want. If you don't have any landmarks, like poles, trees, signs or the like, feel around with your cane in the snow, where the ramp, go up to be a normal curb. if you have plows that leave the snow in the gutter, so that when you step out into the street you have to climb over a mountain of snow, you should be able to find the curb with a little poking around with yoru cane. I am assuming your bus stop is a pole, condition the pup to find the pole, again something you will need to find with your cane. your not going to mess up the pups training by using your cane. Its all in a days work for conditioning your pup to the right places and positioning. You could call the city to see if they will remove the snow from the ramps and corners. This weather, if I get into a situation where I know I will be taking the route back, but its covered with snow or ice. I will take my own salt. Sprinkle the salt over the path on your way, and when you come back through, it should be clear. I am by no means an expert in traveling in the snow and ice, I have only lived in PA for 3 years now. But if there is a will and if you need to go, then there is a way.

Marsha drenth
Sent with my IPhone
http://adventureswith2feet4paws.blogspot.com