[nagdu] Dog washing

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Mon Jan 14 18:48:47 UTC 2013

Oh! Fun discussion!

Mitzi poodle has a super thick, soft coat, which is wonderful and
gorgeous! And a major PITA to maintain when it starts to grow out. /lol/
I guess the thinner, more wiry version of the poodle coat is the show
coat because it will form and hold those show styles. Mitzi just gets
woollier and woollier and... Until she's cooking, then it's time to call
the groomer!

I keep her cut in a kinda modified puppy or field cut. In other words,
short all over, with clean face and just a hint of poodle in the topknot
and tail. I wouldn't concede that much to the frou-frou poodle thing
except that I got tired of everyone asking if she was a Portuguese Water
Dog or what kind of dog she was, then arguing when I insisted she is a
poodle! /lol/ So, now I walk through the world with the word "poodle"
wafting through the air around me and no questions to answer.

How often I have her done depends on time of year. In the summer, I try
for every 4 to 6 weeks, depending on budget. In winter, we can go a
little longer. For Christmas this year, DD got a good set of clippers on
sale, with plans to start doing the clipping himself. Now he is looking
at the poodle and reminding me to call the groomer! /lol/ I think he's
right that for her extra thick winter coat we should rely on a
professional. In summer, when I'm keeping the coat shorter, he may give
it a go. /smile/

I used to bathe her between groomings, but... Now I just brush, brush.
Not as often or as much as she needs, I confess. I have various brushes
and combs for various stages of growth. I use aloe vera gel for
cleansing, or olive oil for the added conditioning and to help detangle.
This keeps her coat pretty clean, and she doesn't get smelly, so I can
forego bathing. I do surface cleaning with a damp wash rag to remove
surface dirt for public outings. /smile/ This is also a good time to
clean around the eyes and muzzle, especially when she is starting to
grow out and has hair to catch food, chews, everything she sticks her
long, inquisitive nose into. /lo.

I do love the nonshedding, despite the trials of coat management. Dead
hair comes out in brush or comb, so I can have a nice ball of it to toss
or keep. Yup! I keep her longer contributions as well as winter
clippings to someday have carded and spun and made into a poodle hair
sweater! Someday. /lol/

Tami