[nagdu] Intelligent disobedience

Toni Whaley blind_treasurer at verizon.net
Thu Jan 31 13:19:28 UTC 2013

Hi,

Last week we encountered such a situation. WE had gotten off the traing and
came down the steps to ground level. As we got to the tunnel that goes under
the tracks, I thought it would be a good idea to have Hazel relieve herself
on a patch of grass to the right of the tunnel entrance. (This also happens
to be near a trash can.) After she had finished we went through the tunnel.
This brings you onto a parking lot. So we turned to walk along the side of
the stations' building. I know if we get to the second door, we are lined up
to a sidewalk which will take me to the street I need to cross to get home.
We started walking along the building. All of a sudden Hazel started pulling
to the curb. Since this is what she does when she wants to relieve herself,
I didn't think she needed to do it again although she sometimes does.
Anyway, I kept encouraging her to go on. Finally, she pressed herself flat
against the building and slowly moving forward. As I followed her, my foot
touched a piece of luggage laying on the ground. There were at least three
of such items. (Where the owner of this luggage was I don't know.) I praised
her and, as I frequently do,  apologized by saying, "I'm sorry! If I could
have seen that luggage, I wouldn't need you."

Toni

P.S. We also had three traffic checks during that outing, each time a driver
making a turn ignoring the law to yield to a pedestrian. As an aside, when
my daughter was an infant and before getting a dog guide I was talking to
one of my readers about travelling. He allowed that drivers must always stop
whenthey see me with my cane and daughter snuggled against my chest. I told
him to think again. Over the past thirty some years I think drivers have
gotten ruder and less attentive.