[nagdu] taxi transport

GARY STEEVES rainshadowmusic at shaw.ca
Tue Jul 2 21:21:56 UTC 2013

Hi:

My school didn't teach getting into taxis or cars which annoyed me. (a total aside but they never tought public washrooms which would have been useful too)

Usually what I do is once the cab pulls up I take off Bogarts harness, I get in the passenger side. While holding the door open I scoot over to the middle and call bogart in. He comes in and lies on the floor. I check his tail and then close the door. Once he is in I slide over to sit behind the driver. I too have to make sure bogarts long nose doest head to the driver. I would never let bogart on the seat of a taxi. I'm like others that believe seats are for people and the floor is for the dog. I usually get the driver to move the passenger seat up. If I'm with somone else then either the other person sits in the front or I sit on the rear passenger side with the seat forward and put in one foot, call bogart in and then the other foot while he and I try to sort out floor space in a polite cooperative manner. :)

If I let Bogart enter a vehicle before me he assumes it is off work and jumps up onto the seat. If I go first then he never jumps on the seat. I sadly learned this when visiting my  girlfriends parents at christmas. We had just walked through slush and snow to get to the car. I opened the door and asked bogart to get in and he promptly, to my horror, jumped up on the nice clean seats!!

So there probably isn't a totally right or wrong way but I'd have to say that, in my opinion, a guide dog should never be on the seat of a  cab for a wide range of obvious reasons.

Cheers
Gary