[nagdu] puppy! and Owner Training

Ben Humphreys brh at opticinspiration.org
Tue Jul 9 00:44:25 UTC 2013

Julie,

All good info.  Looking forward to hearing about the trainer.

I think it's interesting that you haven't had a
single dog "wash out" for typical reasons like
health, fear, aggression, apathy, etc.  I wonder
if part of that is just sticking with it through
all the problems until they're worked out, if that's somehow possible.

Also, you mentioned the pokiness factor, which
for me, has been the main problem with my first
guide, and seems to be so pervasive among
handlers, as opposed to "my dog is too fast",
that I wonder if it's inherent in guide work.

I wonder if there is any way of evaluating walk
speed of a puppy or at least indications of eventual pace?

Great discussion...

Ben