[nagdu] Choosing best guide dog school

Cindy Ray cindyray at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 19:38:45 UTC 2013

What do you want in a guide dog school. Most of them do a good job of training, but you need to align the school to the best of your ability with your blindness philosophy. My big sticking point is if I can have immediate ownership. If I am able to have a dog, then I should be able to own it outright.
I want to know that if I want to play the organ, they think I'm good enough to be given the key to unlock it.
I want to know that they will allow me to monitor my own sugars if I am diabetic.
I want to know they will help me with trouble shooting after I leave, but I don't want them showing up unannounced or whether I like it or not. And I do not want a graduation exercise where the dog's puppy raiser was in attendance, whether they are just there or whether they symbolically turn the dog over to me. I would like to know who raised my pup so that I could write a personal thank you without it going back to the school for them to do so, but that part isn't a deal breaker for me. I think those of us who attended schools often have a loyalty to one, though many people do try out several. Oh, I guess, too, that some have breeds that others don't, and you have to determine whether your preference is at home training exclusively or going to the location.

Cindy Lou