[nagdu] Mentoring during convention

Cindy Ray cindyray at gmail.com
Sun Jul 14 20:30:43 UTC 2013

If you have people mentoring, and if those folks are giving too much advice, then you must take a deep breath and say, "This is not the information I'm looking for. I'm wondering how you handle and then fill in the blank." If here was going to be a formal mentoring program, then you might want to have an orientation as to the do's and don't's of mentoring. Don't tell someone what to do? Say what has worked for you? Ask the person, "Do you suppose it would work if you put on the gentle leader?" "Here's how I found the relief area." "This is what I do in order to navigate the elevator crunch." If I as a mentee am not wanting the advice you are giving me, I should tell you that is the case and ask you politely to do something different. If I am a mentor and I come across you and you seem to maybe need help, I should ask if you need assistance. Also, of course, if we could get a clue in NAGDU as to who is coming for the first time and who will mentor and then, if the new folks want to have mentoring, match people up. I don't think we have to give leash corrections or bite eat <grin> and there would be work involved, but it could be rewarding for all. It could even possibly create new friendships along the way.

CL