[nagdu] need to vent

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Fri Jul 19 11:59:53 UTC 2013

Bibi,

I've had those moths too.   They aren't from not keeping your house clean.
the eggs come in your food.  I know it sounds gross.  It's most common when
you buy groceries from large stores where the food may have been sitting in
warehouses or the like for a while and picked up the eggs.   I frequently
shop at Wal-Mart. I'm pretty sure mine came from a package of oatmeal.

Foods like oats, oatmeal's, cereals, flour, and other grain products are the
most likely carriers and also the most well liked food.  Many dog foods have
quite a lot of grain in them and can easily become moth food.  If you have
any of this stuff in your home, I'd suggest throwing it out.  It feels like
a huge waste, I know.  But anything that isn't in a sealed metal can, glass
jar with a tight fitting lid or sturdy plastic container can be harboring
eggs and they will come back even if you kill off the adults.  Throw out
anything that's in a paper container or a plastic bag.

I then washed down everything with a bleach solution.  I dipped all the
canned and jarred goods into this bleach solution.  I scrubbed the inside of
the cabinet where the problem was.  Then I left everything out on the
counter so I could wipe out the cabinet every couple of days.  I did this
for about 6 weeks to be sure that if there were any eggs left they would
have time to hatch and I could kill them.

When you buy new foods that come in paper or thin plastic bags, including
dog food, keep them in sealed ziplock bags or bins with air tight lids.
Store as much as you can in the refridgerator or freezer.

I was able to get rid of the moths here with just one round of treating
them, which lasted over several weeks.  Because of the lifecycle of the
moths you have to keep at it for a few weeks dilligently, until any
remaining eggs have had an opportunity to hatch.

Does your dog food bin seal airtight?  Something else to consider might be
to buy canned food for a short time until this problem clears up.  Some dog
foods come in heavy duty mylar bags with zip seals.  I really like this
feature of the food I'm feeding now, which is Earthborn wholeistics.

HTH
Julie