[nagdu] [Nagdu] guide dog Training in Sweden

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 20 16:33:52 UTC 2013

Hi Leye,
First, welcome back to the list!
I have recently learned that there are quite a few differences in
guide dog training in Sweden.
As for clicker training, check out the email I sent to the list,
directed at Steph.
You can use clicker training while the dog is in or out of harness. It
is mainly used to teach animals to learn new behaviors. After a dog
regularly responds to a command or performs a behavior, it is not
necessary to click. Treating can be used every time, sometimes,
occasionally, or never, but it is always good to praise the dog for
performing the desired action. So since your dog already knows to find
stairs and curbs, you don't need to use a clicker, but if you choose
to give food rewards, treats help continue to reinforce the behavior.
again, using the clicker comes in handy when teaching a guide dog to
locate new objects or new places.
In the US, guide dog schools that use this definitely teach it to
their students when they learn to use a guide dog.
Another obstacle there in Sweden might be that the SRF, who regulates
the guide dog training programs there, does not allow clicker
training. I'm not sure if that is the case, I'm just saying it is a
possibility that they do not permit it. They may be mistaken or
ignorant about ways for blind people to use clicker training. I know
that the SRF set the regulation there that guide dogs are not to be
trained to avoid moving vehicles, which is another thing guide dogs
schools do train here.
As for another difference between training here in the US and in
Sweden. I have a question for you.
Is it true that guide dog users there do not use leash corrections
with their dogs? A leash correction involves a sharp tug on the leash,
which in turn pulls on the collar the dog is wearing, which can be a
slip chain, prong collar, or martingale check collar. This applies a
short, quick pressure to the dog's neck and is used when a dog makes
an error or behaves inappropriately. Leash corrections are commonly
used in the following situations: when a guide dog does not clear the
handler around an obstacle, when the guide does not stop at a curb or
stairs, when the guide sniffs in harness, when the guide barks or
growls in harness, when the guide interacts or tries to interact with
other people, dogs, or animals in harness. Of course, verbal commands
such as “quiet,” "hop-up," “no,” and “leave it” can be used. Some
people talk to their dog more than correcting them physically, other
people simply expect their dogs to behave certain ways in harness, and
if the dog doesn’t obey after the first couple times a verbal command
is given, the dog is given a leash correction.
If leash corrections are not used, what are the students taught to do
when their dog makes a mistake or behaves inappropriately?

--
Raven