[nagdu] Handling difficult store owners

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Mon Jul 22 21:02:08 UTC 2013

Andrew,

Welcome to the list. I'm Tami, working my 7-year-old owner-trained
poodle guide in Oregon.

I'm with you. Give me a big jerk over a nice confused guy any day.
/smile/ I've worked things through with nice people who were just
confused or didn't know the law, as well as nice people who just didn't
want the dog wherever and were trying to break the law without looking mean.

It sounds like you handled things excellently. The only thing I tend to
add when the subject of tying the dog outside comes up is the value of
the dog's training. That does seem to help to clear up the matter of
whether I am likely to just leave her unattended somewhere that she can
be stolen. In fact, I just mention the dollars a training program would
spend to produce a dog to replace her and then leave it at that. I guess
most folks can figure out from there that this is not my little pet
Fluffy we're talking about. /lol/

I've also been known to state clearly and firmly that if they don't want
me to spend money in their business... That may not work with the barber
shop you want to return to. Or it might. Business owners generally
understand dollars and cents very well.

As for what to do with the dog during the hair cut... I don't think the
law is specific about how close you keep the dog. I prefer to keep the
dog close and have managed to find a place out of the way but near
enough I can hook the leash to my foot or even hold it when I'm getting
my hair cut. If your barber's set up doesn't provide a convenient close
spot, though, then I guess you have to make do. If his problem is that
he has a fear of dogs, then you might want to consider if you want a
frightened person with sharp instruments messing with your head... I've
never run into that, so I don't know how I would handle it. It just
occurred to me that I wouldn't want my hair dresser doing her job with
shaking hands. /grin/

Bringing a printed copy of the law next time couldn't hurt to reassure
the barber that you aren't just making all that up. I think it's a good
idea but must confess that I never have such a thing handy when I need
it. So I get to bareface my way through and hope for the best. Another
option is the NAGDU Hotline at 1-888-624-3841, where you can get
assistance with access issues. You can also find copies of the laws on
the site: http://www.nagdu.org/rights.html.

hth,

Tami