[nagdu] poodle with irritated skin

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Mon Jul 29 18:13:11 UTC 2013

Gary,

Poor boo! Mitzi poodle does get irritated from tummy shaving sometimes
but not others. It seems to depend on time of year, summer being the
worst. That's also when she needs the greater cooling from a shaved
tummy. /smile/

I tend to use Aloe Vera gel on her tummy and other close areas after a
grooming, since it cools and moisturizes. If her skin still seems dry
after a day or two, I will use something like Shea Butter (expensive!)
or olive oil (cheap!) to condition the skin.

If the rash is more than razor burn or something, it might need
something medicated. I'm not too familiar with those sorts of things.
Though I have heard of using original brown Listerine as an antiseptic
that tastes too nasty for the dog to lick. I've never tried it myself,
though, having no need.

Tami