[nagdu] Help for obese dogsRE: Control of Guide Dog Issue

Deanna Lewis DLewis at clovernook.org
Wed Jul 31 14:00:14 UTC 2013

I do think overweight and obese dogs are more common nowadays, just like people! My dog has always been a big boy, and was a bit overweight, but now he has lost 7 pounds and looks fantastic. He looks great at 77 pounds. He gained his weight due to not working for a few weeks on and off, due to me having 8 eye surgeries in less than a year. But, as soon as we started to work every day, and cut his food a bit, he slimmed down pretty quickly.
I know this one person, who has a black lab that is severely obese. He is about 20-22 inches at the shoulders, and weighs at least 115. The poor thing gets out of breath just from walking a block or two. The handler goes overboard in feeding this dog. He gives him treats constantly and I am sure that he eats people food a lot at home. He is also very misbehaved.  The handler will not listen to people when they kindly make suggestions about the dog's weight. I know that the school took him away a few years back, and got some of the weight off. But, as soon as they came back home, he went back to his old habits. I wish there were something more I could do to help in this situation. Have any of you witnessed this type of issue. How could you help out the dog and handler?
Deanna and Pascal