[nagdu] Guide dog school that offers guide dogs to children between the ages of 11 & 17 years old.

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Sat Jun 1 03:53:53 UTC 2013

I do not think this is a good idea -- and my perspective is from a
non-dog user, which is different from many of yours.

Personally I think a person should know how to use a cane well, and
have experience with it prior to getting a dog.  Secondly it
perpetuates the myth that all blind persons need a dog to be
independent -- which we all know not to be true.

I have other reasons, and I also acknowledge that there may well be
exceptions, but 11 seems a little young to me.  I have an 11 year old
child, and if he were blind, I could see him wanting a dog, it would
be cool, but he just isn't ready for it, and he would never have the
option of being a good cane user.

Dave