[nagdu] [NAGDU] Guide Dog Age and Retirement

JULIE PHILLIPSON jbrew48 at verizon.net
Tue Jun 11 15:36:54 UTC 2013

I don't think it's unusual to start slowing down around that age, but it
doesn't always mean it's time to retire.  You might want to consider giving
your dog more time off and leave him or her at home more often.  It really
depends on what your life style is.  If you are a person who goes out every
day to work then it would probably do what you intend to do.  On the other
hand if you say work at home or do not go out much then it may not be time
to retire as long as there are no other medical problems.  I have had 3
dogs one died at 9 from cancer, the second was with me in good health until
the age of 11.5 and retired a few months before that. the third was with me
until the age of 12.5 and was in good health and workinguntil about the age
of 12 Again though I left him home when ever I haddd to travel or be out
after there tenth birthday. Once they turned 10 years old it was time to
give them time off.  I worked them enough to keep them happy but many days
we both stayed in side in the air conditioning.  If it was too hot or to
cold to go out we just waited for a better day.  My current dog is 4 and
pretty full of energy but I have noticed he has settled down more already.
He is behaving much more seriously sinse I got him 2 years ago.    He still
gets pretty silly though and acts like a puppy just not as often or as long
as he use to.