[nagdu] Guide Dog Age and Retirement

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Wed Jun 12 11:21:00 UTC 2013

Hi Gary.
Just FYI, I've been to 2 schools, and neither of them expected the dog to
jump into his harness.  The emphasis your school puts on it surprises and
amuses me.
Ben has always had to be badgered to get up and go to work.  He too needs to
"make his point".  Sometimes, we sing him that old song "Charlie Brown".
"He walks in the classroom, cool and slow.  Who calls the English teacher
Daddy-o?  Charlie Brown, he's a clown ..."

Slowing down means working slower--going from working at a trot to working
at a stroll. There's a limit for me of how much I can slow my pace and still
be comfortable.  Also, in The City, there's a general pace of pedestrian
traffic, and I don't like being the old lady holding things up, with people
always pushing past me.  So, when Ben's pace slows too much for me, and he
can no longer take the length of walk I like to take, I'll apply for a
young, vigorous dog, and Benny can retire to the life of ease.  At least, I
hope that's how it will go, and that our time together won't be cut short by
illness.
Tracy