[nagdu] gentle leader

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Fri Jun 21 13:16:54 UTC 2013

I suggest caution with the use of head collars in hot weather. Most head
collars are made so the dog can still open it's mouth to pant, however it
will be a bit restricted as to how far the mouth can be open and will
restrict the cooling effect of panting.  Longer snouted breeds won't be as
affected, but shorter face breeds like Boxers and even some labs I've seen
will be more restricted by a head collar because of the shape of their
muzzle.

I haven't used a head collar for quite a few months now.   When Monty was
younger I did more frequently because when he's on a mission he can get
going pulling.  Usually that happens when he knows feeding time is waiting
at the other end of our walk. *smile*    Still, I'd take it off if he was
panting more than a little bit, because he does have a shortened muzzle and
the potential to overheat is there.

Julie