[nagdu] gentle leader

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Fri Jun 21 14:50:28 UTC 2013

Dar,

a martingale is a collar that is about 3/4 leather or nylon with the two
ends connected by a loop of chain or sometimes a loop of nylon.  The leash
connects to the loop.  When you pull the leash the loop tightens the main
portion of the collar.  You use this type of collar the same way as a
standard check chain collar.

Concerning overheating and head collars...if you're going only short
distances, overheating shouldn't be an issue.  I'm thinking the temperature
would have to be over 90, maybe less if the humidity is high or your doing
some brisk walking.  Signs of a too hot dog include: heavy panting almost
chest heaving breathing, a drooped head, slowing down and general lethargy
or slowed responses.

If you're indoors in air conditioning, overheating  is nearly impossible.
If it's really hot outside and your dog has enough energy to pull toward
other dogs and act nutters, I'm convinced he's not overheating.  *smile*
It's going to be fine to use the gentle leader.  Just be mindful of the heat
and his need to pant freely and use the gentle leader when you need it.

Julie