[nagdu] The Differences in Dogs and Canes

Nicole Torcolini ntorcolini at wavecable.com
Mon Jun 24 03:22:05 UTC 2013

OK, yeah, but there are things that a dog doesn't detech that a cane does,

Agreed, especially if you are talking about texture of ground or finding
obstacles verses just going around them.

especially if said dog is distracted.

And that is why I wrote "a well trained dog usually".

And sometimes they will come to stairs and not stop; they shouldn't, and you
can correct the behavior, but you could get hurt. Stuff happens, and it does
even if you are sighted.

I never said that using a guide dog instead of a cane was going to keep you
from getting hurt. I also specifically did not use the word "better". My
point was that the difference of clearing overhead obstacles is one that
seems to be overlooked sometimes. However, like all aspects of guide dog
training, it only works if:
A. The dog is paying attention, and
B. If the dog is good at that particular aspect.
Whether a difference between cane travel and guide dog travel is considered
a good thing or a bad thing depends on the person, the dog, the situation,
and a million and one other things; sometimes, a difference is not even
labelled as good or bad.