[nagdu] The Differences in Dogs and Canes

Nicole Torcolini ntorcolini at wavecable.com
Sat Jun 29 18:22:19 UTC 2013

Yikes, someone telling you to go without a mobility aide, is that what I am
understanding? I certainly move around with neither dog nor cane in certain
areas, but they are areas that I know well. When I received Lexia, we
sometimes heeled our dogs when moving around the building. At these times,
we used our canes. Somehow, I never got frustrated with the
why-is-my-dog-stopping thing, but that is different for everyone. Maybe
because I had talked to several people about using a guide dog before
getting one, but that is beside the point. If having the cane around to help
problem solve works well for someone, especially in the beginning, that
there is no reason that that should not be around.
When learning new areas, I usually have a sighted person to help me, so I
don't use my cane that much, but, if I did not have sighted assistance , I
most certainly would use my cane in those situations, especially if it
included finding an object that the dog usually regards as an obstacle.