[nagdu] having surgery

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Fri Mar 1 19:23:25 UTC 2013

Mary,

I broke my foot about a year and a half ago now.  Seems like it was
yesterday...anyway, I couldn't work Monty for four months or so.  Even
when I could walk again, it was for pretty short distances and much
slower than we had previously worked.  He had to learn to help me
balance on rough sidewalk and on stairs and curbs.  He didn't forget any
of his guide skills.

Exercise was a daily concern though.  Monty is a very high energy dog.
If he doesn't get enough exercise, he will drive everyone crazy.  So I
worked on obedience with him.  We played fetch down the hallway.  I
played games with him that challenged him mentally.  I begged my family
to take him on walks.  I let him run in the fenced backyard.  I taught
him new skills that would help me. And I employed the NILF philosophy,
Nothing in Life is Free, which basically means every time he wanted
something, food, toys, to go outside, he had to earn it.  This helped us
all keep our sanity.   Monty is a very pushy dog.  If you give him an
inch, he will take three miles.  The NILF approach gave him the
consistency and work that he thrives on.

HTH and I hope your surgery goes easily and quickly
Julie