[nagdu] Guide dogs and Therapy Dogs

Lyn Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Wed Mar 6 21:18:13 UTC 2013

Hi Cindy,
Landon was certified to be a therapy dog about four years ago when we
started to work with the Humane Society.  He had to take the AKC's Canine
Good Citizen Test and another test that the Pet-Assisted Therapy Program -
Humane Society has for all dogs entering the program. Landon had to show
that he's cool around the other animals we bring on the visits - rabbits,
guinea pigs, and rats.  Landon and the rats seem to hit it off well.  He
does well with the others but the rats are the only ones who actually like
to interact with Landon.  They will walk up to him and they sniff noses - so
cute!  I love the rats because they are so smart and interactive!

I haven't had any problems with Landon doing both jobs - guide dog and
therapy dog.  He does understand that when guiding it isn't time to visit
people.  If people do "drive by" pets, he just blows them off.  If I'm
standing around and not having the handle in my hand, he knows he can visit
when I tell him to "say hi".

I'd say, to do this work sucessfully, you need to make sure your dog knows
the difference in how to behave during guiding work and during visits.  When
we are in visit mode, I take his harness off and he has a vest from the HS
program that he wears.  Make sure your dog likes to interact with strangers
when you tell him it is OK to do so.  Make sure your dog is CLEAR in how to
behave in both venues and will transition well between the two things
easily.  Not all guide dogs can do this depending on their own
personalities.

HTH.  Landon and I really enjoy ourselves doing pet therapy.

Lyn and Landon
"Asking who's the man and who's the woman in an LGBT relationship is like
asking which chopstick is the fork" - Unknown