[nagdu] Re landlord issues

Elizabeth Rene emrene at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 7 17:28:21 UTC 2013

Hi Cody,

I think all the comments you've gotten so far are good.  And I understand
how confused and frightened you must be.

Here are my two cents.  I've had seven guide dogs and have always lived in
apartments.

Your state may have a residential landlord tenant statute that defines your
rights as a tenant.  There may be a housing justice project run by your
state bar association that could offer you free or low-cost legal assistance
with your problem, or at least buy you time until you find a new place to
live--if you have to.

Your state may also have a human rights statute with guide dog provisions.
That means your state human rights commission may be able to represent you
to your landlord, and maybe work out a conciliation.  They could educate him
about guide dogs and the rights of service dog handlers as tenants--and
maybe also their qualities as good neighbors.  Their help would be free.

As already suggested, your NFB affiliate would be an excellent source of
support.

Maybe also your state's landlord's or apartment owners' association, if
there is one.  Sometimes these groups end up on a good tenant's side,
especially if a landlord is acting illegally.

Also your city's or state's tenants' union.

And how about your newspaper?  When I got my first guide dogs, there was
always a little article published about me and my dog.  Your problems would
generate some human interest, so maybe a call and a chat with a reporter
about the glories of getting a guide dog and the pitfalls of taking him home
would generate some public support, and maybe an invitation from a good
landlord to rent from him or her with open arms.

Having a harmonious relationship with a landlord is priceless.  You will
have to relieve your dog near home, and maybe a sick dog in the middle of
the night.  So if you can go on apartment property (cleaning up every time,
of course), without hassle, would keep your blood pressure down.

I like to live where there are no other dogs on the premises, but that's
only my preference.  It ensures a clean relieving area, and freedom from dog
distractions.  But there are many apartments now that cater to dog owners,
and provide relieving areas for them complete with beauty bark and regular
hosing maintained by the staff, waste cans, and baggie dispensers.  You
might want to think about a dog-friendly building.

Finally, I like carpeted apartments because they give my dog a comfortable
surface to roll around on.  a noise buffer allowing them to run around
without tenants below hearing the click click of doggie nails, and
protection of hardwood floors against being marked up by nail points.  Dogs
sometimes do dig in to get traction.  Purgo floors are good for dogs,
though, because they're made rugged for dogs and kids.

Lastly, and yes, I mean it, if your realtor is on the ball, he or she should
help you with all of this.  NYC has a lot of dog owners, blind and sighted,
and it would be bad for business to saddle a customer with a lousy landlord.

Good luck to you, and happy tails!

Elizabeth