[nagdu] Access Rights?

Marion Gwizdala blind411 at verizon.net
Fri Mar 8 18:22:10 UTC 2013

Jessica,
    The law is very clear on this issue. FYI< I have attached the full text
of the current implementing regulations to this message. In short,
restaurants are places of public accommodation. Public accommodations are
required to modify their policies, practices, and procedures to allow an
individual with a disability the right to access any part of their business
other customers are permitted to access, unless doing so would cause a
direct threat to the health or safety of others that cannot be eliminated by
reasonable measures. No documentation nor specific gear can be required as a
precondition to access. In some states, statutes exist that require such
documentation and/or specific gear; however, these statutes are
unenforceable since federal law preempts (supercedes) state law. If you tell
me in which state this business is located, I can let you know if it is one
that has such unenforceable language and what you can do to resolve this
issue. If you would like to write to me off-list, my contact information is
below my signature.

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala, President
National Association of Guide Dog Users (NAGDU)
National Federation of the Blind
813-626-2789
President at NAGDU.ORG
HTTP://WWW.NAGDU.ORG