[nagdu] air line question

Michael Hingson mike at michaelhingson.com
Sat Mar 23 14:50:11 UTC 2013

Dar,

Adding to what Marion said, you are the expert concerning your dog.  The
airlines cannot discriminate, nor can they restrict your seating except that
you may not sit in an over-wing emergency exit row.

For my part, I refuse to sit in a bulkhead row unless no other seat is
available.  I believe bulkhead rows are unsafe for guide dogs.  Also, there
is plenty of room under most seats in front of you for a guide dog.  Even
100-pound dogs have fit in such spaces.

Recently an airline person asked me Africa's weight.  I inquired as to why
this information was necessary.  I was told that the airline wanted the
information because people had been trying to bring smaller animals on
planes claiming they were "service animals".  The airline required the
weight information as a result of fraudulent attempts by non-service dog
users.  I pointed out that such information was unnecessary and potentially
discriminatory.

The fact is many airline personnel make up the rules as they go along.  As
Marion said, the ACAA is clear.  No discrimination.  No advanced notice is
required.  No special seating is mandatory.

Best,

Michael Hingson

The Michael Hingson Group, INC.
"Speaking with Vision"
Michael Hingson, President
(415) 827-4084
info at michaelhingson.com
To order Michael Hingson's new book, Thunder Dog, and check on Michael
Hingson's speaking availability for your next event please visit:
www.michaelhingson.com

To purchase your own portrait of Roselle painted by the world's foremost
animal artist, Ron Burns, please visit http://www.ronburns.com/roselle