[nagdu] poodle ponderings

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Mon Mar 25 22:56:49 UTC 2013

Meghan,

I brush Mitzi every few days, depending on her coat length. Supposedly,
she should be brushed for an hour a day, but... I found that this
actually increased tangling because of broken hairs. Still, it is
important to remove dead hair from the coat and to keep ahead of tangles
as much as possible, especially tiny tangles by the skin.

I've experimented with various grooming tools, and I keep coming back to
an old paddle brush of mine from when I had long hair. The nylon
bristles seem to break the hair less and to work good oils through the
hair better. I also use human combs with nylon teeth, preferring larger,
more spaced teeth to get through the curls.

I gave up on expensive, fancy grooming sprays and the like and have
taken to using aloe vera gel for cleansing and conditioning, alternating
with olive oil. I don't do either on a regular basis, just when she
seems to need it. A lot depends on how long her coat is at the time.

Given my druthers (and a healthier budget) I would have her groomed
every 6 weeks, except for very warm weather when I would prefer every 4
weeks. So the groomer does a lot of pulling the ear hairs then. In
between, I pull what I find under my fingers. It's important not to push
hair down into the ears, so it took me awhile to get the hang of it and
be comfortable doing it.

When Mitzi's hair is short, I do hardly any brushing and can just wipe
her clean with a washcloth for a couple of weeks after grooming. Then I
have to get over being so lazy and start brushing with a bristle brush
until it's time to go to the paddle brush and comb.

Oh, I also either wash her face around the eyes for the gunk around the
tear ducts or just gently work it off with my fingers. And when the
muzzle hair gets long, then it's important to wash that and keep gunk
brushed out. The non-shedding is made up for by a tendency to gather up
the great outdoors and bring it in on her coat, too. /lol/

Don't know if that helps. Seems to me that she is low maintenance for a
couple of weeks every couple of months or so. Then she gets to be really
high maintenance. Then she's expensive, then we start over. /lol/

Tami