[nagdu] poodle ponderings

Sarah Clark sarah at sarahaclark.com
Fri Mar 29 06:13:31 UTC 2013

Hi Megan,
Gary and Tami have covered grooming quite well, so I won't repeat what they
have said.
I have been working with my second guide and first poodle for two months
now, so I will mention a couple differences I have noticed. (My first guide
was a lab golden cross.)

First of all Gary mentioned jumpyness, and my poodle tends to be a little
jumpy or skiddish too when he sees strange things. I thought it was just
mine, but perhaps it is a poodle thing?
The biggest thing to get used to is that poodles are very alert and are
looking at everything. With a lab, if they are looking around at other
things while they are working, they are distracted. But a poodle is moving
their head around watching everything around them, all the time, and can do
this and still do their work too. They are very good at multitasking. It is
ok for them to look; it is not ok for them to get off track and bump you
into things or go towards whatever they are looking at.

Also, a lab's gate is kind of bouncy or side to side. But a poodle's gate is
very smooth. Imagine holding onto a cart that someone is pulling in front of
you. That is how it feels to walk with a poodle; as if you are gliding.

Though my poodle is the exception when it comes to food, Many poodles can b
finicky about eating. They can also be picky about relieving. Mine is; when
there is something happening around us, he would rather watch than do his
business. I usually don't fret about this too much. I figure if he has to go
he will, and if he doesn't go, he must not have to that badly. So I just
give him a few minutes, and if he doesn't seem interested, I end it until
the next time.

This is all I can think of at the moment, but I am sure there are other
differences too. As Gary said, they can be a bit vocal. Mine isn't too bad
with this though. He sometimes whines when he sees something he would like
to get at, but he almost never barks. Occasionally he'll growl when he sees
something out of the ordinary that doesn't look right, but with a poodle
this normally isn't aggression, it is more like saying hey what is going on.
There were 3 poodles in my class, and all 3 of them did this at various
times.

I will second that they are very smart. Mine made my instructor look silly
once or twice in class. She said that was the reason she wouldn't want a
poodle; she wouldn't want a dog that is smarter than she is.

One other personality difference that we were warned about from the start.
Labs will listen to you just because they want to please you. But a poodle
listens to you because they respect you. So until you teach them to respect
you, they don't care if they listen to you or not. Thankfully this isn't
hard to teach. You just have to not let them get away with disobeying your
commands. The first few times I told RJ to sit, sometimes he would sit, and
sometimes he wouldn't. But every time he didn't listen, he got an immediate
correction. Within a day or two, he was listening to me regularly. And now
he listens to me every time I tell him to sit. At any school, with any
guide, they will tell you that daily obedience is important, but this is
doubly so with a poodle, especially early on in the relationship when they
are learning to respect you.

Sarah & RJ