[nagdu] Greeting People while in harness

Lyn Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Thu May 2 18:37:51 UTC 2013

Hi Sarah,
Your school doesn't issue a head collar - a Halti or Gentle Leader?  these
replace the old muzzles that schools used to issue years ago - way before
ADA and many bus services demanded we have muzzles for our dogs.  I prefer
Gentle Leader over Halti because the GL is more adjustable and the dog
usually can't pull it off with its feet.  Both are sold at most pet supply
places - stores or online.  PetSmart and PetCo sell them.  Most Labs will
wear a size Medium.

People buy these to have better control over their dogs.  They work much
like a halter on a horse - control of the animal's head.  We were taught how
to put them on and use them for things like curbing unwanted socializing or
snarfing stuff off the ground or floor. Ask your guide dog school about it.
Did you go to Pilot?  If so, I'm wondering if they still have the built-in
muzzle on the leash - actually part of the leash.  I saw a Pilot Dogs leash
in the 1990s when my friends had dogs from there.

My harness pouch is sold at pet stores and called "Leash pouches".  They
have two short Velcro bands for attaching the pouch to either the leash,
harness handle, or backstrap. One end of the pouch has Velcro closure and
the other end has an elastic hole for pulling out a poop bag. I don't know
if GDUI still sells these or not.  In mine, I put Landon's head collar and
some poop bags.

HTH,

Lyn and Landon
"Asking who's the man and who's the woman in an LGBT relationship is like
asking which chopstick is the fork" - Unknown