[nagdu] what do you consider an attack?

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Thu May 9 16:14:11 UTC 2013

We often talk about dog attacks on this list, but perhaps what I categorize as an attack is different from others definition.  So I’m asking, what do you consider an attack?

Is it: a dog coming toward your dog
a dog coming toward your dog growling/barking
a dog coming close enough to sniff your dog
a dog coming into physical contact with your dog, nose, tongue or feet
a dog who bites, but does not break the skin with or without pain/bruising
a dog who draws blood with a bite
or something else?

Does the intent of the other dog make a difference?  For example it is fairly common for dogs to jump on each other and slobber all over each other during rough play.  But jumping on another dog could definitely be aggression in different circumstances.  Granted it is often extremely difficult to gauge a loose dog’s intent without being able to watch their body language.

Would you consider a situation to be an attack if the other dog approaches friendly, but your dog doesn’t appreciate it and reacts causing the situation to escalate?

Curiously,
Julie