[nagdu] which side are you on?

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Mon May 27 18:20:27 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I have talked to my school(Guiding Eyes) about this a lot because we
have had some problems always walking on the left.  I was told that it
wasn't part of the training, but most dogs have a natural tendency for
the left side.  They even told me that some dogs are worse about it
than others.  I had this problem because I needed to walk along the
right side of a parking lot in order to find the right path to go to
class.  Brie refused to stay on the right, and I worked with the
school to try and fix the problem.  I got her to the point where she
would stay on the right side, but I could tell she never liked it.

I did receive some pointers from the school.  I would keep her to the
right side, then move her back when she tried to go back to the left.
I would also praise her for staying to the right side.  They also
advised using food, but I didn't do this very often because my dog
acts like a wild animal around food rewards.  :)

I do the same thing as Julie J in stores.  I walk slightly behind and
to the right of my mother or a friend.  This is also useful in malls.

I agree with Marion here.  I really wish the schools would work with
us and our dogs on how to get the dogs to walk either side.  I know
they have the ability to do it.  I'm glad my school was able to give
me some tips on how to make it less of a problem.  But I do wish it
was addressed in training.

--
Julie McG
National Association of Guide dog Users board member,  National