[nagdu] Guide dog school that offers guide dogs to childrenbetween the ages of 11 & 17 years old.

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Fri May 31 13:10:08 UTC 2013

I think it might keep a kid from learning cane skills really well.  I used a
cane from about 4th grade through my first year in college, and I got where
I wanted to go, though, once I got a dog, I got there easier and quicker. I
think we all agree that good cane skills are an essential for any blind
person.

I always wonder how it works physically, to give a kid a guide dog.  A
person's body changes a lot between 11 years old and 18 years old.  People
get a lot bigger, stronger, and taller.  I don't really see how a dog that
suits the height and strength of an 11-year-old would work well with the
same kid even 4 or 5 years later.

And I wonder how it works out with the family.  When I came home with my
first dog, my dad especially would suggest I just leave the dog home when we
were going out to eat or whatever.  I was old enough to say No and make it
stick.  Also, I was only home for a short time before heading back to
college.  I think a kid might have trouble, keeping the family from taking
over the dog or discouraging its use.
Tracy