[nagdu] Guide dog school that offers guide dogs to childrenbetween the ages of 11 & 17 years old.

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Fri May 31 21:59:47 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I completely agree with what's been said.  I had a dog in high school,
and although it worked out for me, there were certainly things that
posed a challenge to me as a teenager.  I had teachers who would tell
me what to do or not do with my dog.  That was difficult.  I also had
friends who didn't want the dog over their houses.  That happens as an
adult, but it hurts a lot more as a teenager.

Buddy is correct.  Noone wants to listen to a small, 17-year-old girl.
 I had more problems trying to keep people away from my dog than most
people.  I had trouble keeping my father from petting my dog until I
explained to him that if he kept trying to form a bond with my dog by
petting her, she would run to him across a street one day and get us
both killed.  Now I was a particularly outspoken teenager.  I bet a
lot of younger teens would just let their parents bond with the dog.

I will admit that a guide dog gave me confidence.  I think it was
something about having the special bond or successfully getting
through training.  I don't know.  But I gained so much confidence
having a dog--so much that I am now totally willing to travel with my
cane.  It's all about independence.  I was motivated to be independent
because of how awesome it was to work with a dog and experience that.

But that brings me to Julie's point.  At 17, I knew what I wanted to
do.  I had plans to go to college and study music.  Most teenagers, I
have learned, don't know these things, or if they do, they don't stick
to them.

Finally, schools are not good places for dogs to work.  There is food
all over, crowds, and not really many chances to go out and walk
places--not to mention, that kids, especially in middle school, are
mean.  I had kids bark at my dog once, and that was enough.  I can
imagine people trying to feed the dog, interact with the dog, or
anything else.  And let's not even get into if the kid was bullied...
What the bullies would do to that dog...

I think 16 is a perfectly respectable age to get a dog for some
people.  But even the guide dog schools that give their dogs to
16-year-olds are hesitant.  I think for good reason.  It's not easy.

--
Julie McG
National Association of Guide dog Users board member,  National