[nagdu] Blindfolds During Training for Those Who Have Some Vision

Deanna Lewis DLewis at clovernook.org
Tue Nov 5 14:24:24 UTC 2013

When I went for training, they offered the students the option to use a blindfold during some of the first few routes. I do have some remaining vision, so I really think that using the blindfold helped me to build trust in the dog. My roommate, who had only light perception, chose not to use the blindfold, and GDB did not have a problem with her not wanting to use one. I personally felt that the blindfold helped me tremendously in learning to work with a guide dog. Even now, I occasionally will go on mobility lessons with a blindfold so that I can learn to tune in more to my other senses and not have to rely on my fluctuating vision.
Deanna and Pascal