[nagdu] Blindfolds During Training for Those Who Have Some Vision

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Tue Nov 5 17:17:34 UTC 2013

Jenine,

Thanks for that excellent explanation! It certainly matches what I
experience.

I've long since decided that if I have residual vision when I go to a
program for a dog, I will want to do the early training under sleep
shade to build the trust and skill working with the dog that way. In
that setting, of course, the presence of the instructor makes that a
safe option. I'm going to keep your explanation so I can explain to said
instructor why I'm such a freak when I first put on or take off the
sleep shade, in case I need it. /lol/

For owner-training, I need to get used to sunglasses and a cap again, to
protect my head and eyes. That won't be such a big deal, I guess. But
with Mitzi, I decided sleep shades weren't a safe option when it came
time to start really trusting her. So I could just wait until dark --
which is earlier for me than for most. /smile/ That part should go
easier with my next victim, since Mitzi has me trained... Or not. /lol/
Now we're adjusting to early dark and cold -- thus woolly hat which
messes me up big time. I'll adjust within the next couple of weeks, but
for now my dog must be very patient with me. /smile/ I was noticing just
last evening, that my nice thick gloves seem to mess me up, as well. I
felt dramatically oriented once I took them off. Very odd.

Tami