[nagdu] some miscellaneous issues and updates from Aleeha and Dallas

Aleeha Dudley blindcowgirl1993 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 7 21:20:35 UTC 2013

Hello all,
  I know I haven't written in a while. It's been quite the busy time here.
  Good news: Dallas did fairly well at our state NFB convention last
week. He didn't have an accident in the hotel, but he was a bit
constipated for a couple days. The biggest issue I saw was his dog
distractions. He likes to twist around in harness, making things very
difficult. Most of the time, nothing but a high collar will get him
even close to past a distraction.
  I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for a couple of problems I'm
having with Dally boy. He's a wonderful guide, but these issues are
somewhat annoying. The first of them is his hesitance to go under
chairs. I almost have to drag him under the chair, which makes both
him and me uncomfortable. A sighted person says he shows some fear
when I try to get him settled.
  Second, Dallas has a similar behavior on busses. He seems very
fearful and, at times, cowers under the seat, leaping up at every
stop.
  Third is his irrational fear of vacuum cleaners. I can handle this
at home, but when one is being used, in a restaurant, say, I literally
cannot keep ahold of him.
  The last issue is the most serious. Dallas likes to pretend he needs
to park, pulling off to the grass and not going. He also has a
tendency to stop in the sidewalk and stand there, looking around. No
amount of coaxing will get him going again.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Aleeha and the little yellow Dally boy