[nagdu] Why should donors give to guide dog schools?

Julie J julielj at neb.rr.com
Fri Nov 8 19:45:08 UTC 2013

For a lot of blind people, surgery just isn't an option.  I think for most of us if there was some magic wand that would give us our vision back, we'd go for it.  Unfortunately modern medicine doesn't quite work like that.

So I guess I'm saying that donating money to charities that provide surgeries to improve vision and charities that provide guide dogs are two distinct and seperate things.  It's comparing apples and oranges.

Then there is health insurance or medicaid that will cover medical related expenses.  Health insurance doesn't pay for guide dogs, at least not that I've ever heard of.

In the end, I think we donate to what is personally meaningful to us or what we have personal experience with.  I donate to the NFB, homeless shelters, the local pet shelter and others because I have a personal connection and experiences that cause me to have some empathy.  And now for my own cold hearted truth...I sleep just fine at night after hanging up on the cancer society people and the make a wish people who want my money.

Sorry for any typos.  I'm using my iPad and I'm still learning how to operate the thing.

Julie

Sent from my iPad