[nagdu] Doggy Dandruff

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 10 09:14:16 UTC 2013

Hi,
Sorry about message after message, but this is important.
First, you can scoop or squirt oil supplements right over your dog's
food. Do not worry about masking the tastes within treats. Dog's love
the coconut and salmon flavors. Your dog will be excited when you get
the containers to add a little to the dog food.
Second, talking to your vet about supplements is fine, especially when
you don't know how much to give. But do not buy fish oil from your
vet. The office will likely charge you a butt load for 30-60 capsules,
when you can get 180-500 capsules, or a pump bottle for the same
price, if not cheaper. Amazon is a great resource for all the products
and brands I mentioned. In fact, I copied and pasted the products
straight from my order history.
If you're hesitant or confused about how to start your dog on these
supplements, start adding them as if you were introducing a new food.
For instance, with either the salmon oil or coconut oil, start with
one squirt or 1/2 teaspoon in the dog's food. Do this for a couple
days, then slowly increase the amount until you reach whatever you
decide to give regularly, which will likely be 4 to 6 squirts of the
salmon oil and 1 or 2 teaspoons of the coconut oil.
It is essential to give both coconut and fish/salmon oils because
coconut oil has a wide range of functions beyond salmon oi. Coconut
has antioxidants, and anti-fungal, antibacterial, and
infection-fighting properties. Fish oil helps with renal function,
coconut oil aids in immune function.
Personally, I put fish oil over my dog's breakfast, and coconut oil
over his dinner. A girlfriend of mine alternates each day. One day,
she'll add salmon oil to a meal, and the next day, she adds coconut
oil, and so on. How often and when is up to you.
If you choose to give fish oil capsules, I'd say don't give your dog
any more than 1800 mgs per day or every other day. That is the high
end of the amount. A large breed dog typically needs about 1200-1400
mgs.
No matter what supplement you choose, please do not over do it in
order to speed up a process. Do not give your dog multiple daily doses
of fish oil or salmon oil in one day to improve the health of fur or
skin. The same goes for the coconut oil. Don't pour it in your dog's
ear throughout the day if an ear infection is present.
Everything counts in small amounts.
As for the shampoo, you do not need to use a lot of this at once. Just
use enough to properly shampoo the dog's entire body.

--
Raven