[nagdu] Question about College Campuses

National Association of Guide Dog Users blind411 at verizon.net
Tue Nov 12 18:21:53 UTC 2013

	A few years ago, one of the ADA Technical Assistance Centers
circulated some misinformation that college campuses could require visitors
with service animals to report to and gain permission from the campus
Disability office that they would be on campus with their service dog and
that students wishing to be accompanied by their service animals may be
required to obtain permission before being allowed to have their service
animals accompany them in class. This guidance was frought with a number of
statements that were in direct conflict with the implementing regulations of
the ADA.

	Under the ADA, private entities that provide public accommodations
are required to modify their policies, practices, and procedures to allow
individuals with disabilities to enjoy the goods, services, benefits,
accommodation, and priveleges afforded to others. Places of higher
education, whether public or private, are places of public accommodation. As
such, they may not impose any restrictions upon disabled individuals
accompanied by service animals unless the presence of the animal poses a
direct threat, defined as a significant risk to the health or safety of
others that cannot be eliminated by a modification of policies, practices,
or procedures, or if the animal is out of control and the handler does not
take immediate, effective action to control the animal. The animal must be
on  a leash or tether, unless doing so would interfere with the work or
tasks it was trained to perform. Entities may not require any sort of
identification, documentation that the animal has been trained, or require
the animal to wear any special gear.

	I hope this information has been helpful. If you need any additional
information, please do not hesitate to get in touch with me. My contact
information is below my signature.

With kind regards,

Marion Gwizdala, President
National Association of Guide Dog Users Inc.
National Federation of the Blind
(813) 626-2789 (Office)
888-NAGDU411 (Hotline
President at nagdu.org