[nagdu] I was just contacted by William Read at Baruch College

cheryl echevarria cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 14 11:58:00 UTC 2013

Dear NAGDU Friends
I was recently contacted by William Read at Baruch College, he is the Assistant Director at the Computer Center for people for the Visually Impaired in New York City.
FYI, he doesn't like using the word "Blind", he kept  saying vision loss.

In any case, he has asked me to do a presentation at their event on April 11, 2014. He wants me to talk about the issues that blind people face while traveling by planes, trains, cruise lines, etc.  I plan to talk about the issues that NAGDU and Travel & Tourism have been working on with the airlines, not only with guide dogs, but also cane being taken away from passengers, or being moved from seats or just being discriminated against for being blind.
I am getting all the details, but I believe for those who are interested in  attending the all day event are welcome to come. They will be having students, employers, training centers, organization, and more.
There will be Q&A, etc.
I am hoping that many of you in the travel industry will try and make an effort to be in attendance and to learn about the issues facing people with disabilities in travel, in this case the blind and visually impaired.
The information is listed below, it is a free event, and registration will be available in February 2014. They close the registration at 220 people.  So when the information comes out and you want to go, please register. So spread the word about Cheryl Echevarria, will be doing a presentation.

SAVE THE DATEApril 11, 2014
What: “Your Future is Now”            7th Annual Conference on Employment and              Visual Impairment:  Policy & Practice
Where: Baruch College Conference Center, 14th Floor 55 Lexington Avenue, at 24th Street, New York City
Time: 9:00am – 4:00pm
Cost: Free admission including lunch and refreshments
**Registration Coming Late February**
Sponsored by: Computer Center for Visually Impaired      People, Baruch College; School of Public Affairs,    Baruch College; New York State Commission for the    Blind and Hidden City Café

Mark your CalendarApril 11, 2014

Disabled Entrepreneur of the Year 2012 of NY StateLeading the Way in Independent Travel!
Cheryl Echevarria, Ownerwww.echevarriatravel.com631-456-5394reservations at echevarriatravel.com
 Your old car keys can be the keys to literacy for a blind child.  Donate your unwanted vehicle to us by clicking www.nfb.org/vehicledonations or call 855-659-9314. Echevarria Travel has partnered with Braille Smith. www.braillesmith.com for all her braille needs.  Gail Smith is the Secretary of the NFB of Alabama