[nagdu] Our trip to the shore

Bryan Jones opensesame at me.com
Fri Nov 15 13:49:28 UTC 2013

Thank you for posting this, Tracy. I’ve been wondering for a few years what it might be like to go to the shore with my dog. I’m a Cape May, Avalon & Ocean City lover myself, and a few weeks ago a friend asked out-of-the-blue if I’d be interested in making a trip to Ocean City.

We made it a day-trip and my TSE dog Marqi was, as usual, a rock star throughout the day..

We parked near the 9th Street entrance and Marqi pulled like a 50 pound freight train as we climbed the ramp onto the boardwalk. I am wondering if perhaps her Puppy-raiser family spent time with her on the boards as she seemed right at home. We walked south and Marqi was über focussed, avoiding bicyclists, benches, flocks of seagulls, joggers,etc while still keeping us pinned to the left edge of the boards. On our way south we stopped at my favorite pizza shop and, as always, answered many guide dog related queries as Marqi lay tucked under the table of our booth.

After pizza we continued south to the end of the boards, which if I recall is 26th Street, and exited onto the street, where we took a doggie bathroom and water break before heading onto the sand. This section of the beach seems to have been largely replenished post-hurricane Sandy. As we slowly got closer to the crashing waves Marqi did her thing where she puts herself between me and possible trouble and gently steers me away. She also does this around campfires and those large inflatable holiday ornaments some folks put on their lawns around Halloween and Christmas.

We waited for another dog to pass by and then I let Marqi off her harness. My concerns about a possible “Marley moment” were unfounded as Marqi stayed clear of the water and spent most of her time just sniffing things. We had brought along a squeaky toy but she gave it no attention. My friend took Marqi for a quick run up and down this section of the beach and then we headed back up onto the boards. On our trip North we stopped into a coffee shop, a fudge bakery, and an arcade for some skee-ball.

Throughout the day there were many questions and conversations about Marqi, many exclamations of how well-behaved and beautiful she is, and absolutely zero access issues anywhere. I should also note that the day was cool and cloudy, which meant no worries about hot sand or boards affecting Marqi’s paws and no hot sun possibly overheating her. If the day had been hot, I think I might have postponed our trip, but I tend to avoid the shore during the warmer months anyway. Now I am looking forward to more visits back to OC, Cape May and other shore towns.

Cheers,
Bryan