[nagdu] Retirement and transition between dogs

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 00:35:58 UTC 2013

Hi friends,

I hope you all are doing well.  I wanted to give you all an update and
ask a couple of questions.  I have had to make the decision to retire
my dog, Brie, at the end of this year.  She has slowed down so much
that I cannot walk with her comfortably, and she does not seem to want
to work.  Actually, her behavior is misleading.  She wants to work, be
with me, go places, but guiding seems to be difficult for her.  I
recently moved to go to grad school on a larger campus.  I do much
more walking per day than she has been used to.

Since it is November, and I am still working on my application, I may
have to wait until the end of next semester for another dog.  This
means that I will be using the cane full time next semester, and Brie
will have to live with my mom.  I do use the cane from time to time,
but using it full time will probably be a huge change for me.  I am
sure that some of you have experienced.  I can think of many things I
will have to get used to in the transition from nearly full time dog
to full time cane use, but if you guys have any other advice, I would
be very interested.  Also, I am wondering...  Did your friends and
families treat you differently when you went from using a dog to a
cane?  Weird question, but my nature is to anticipate everything.

Any advice you all might have on this transition would be most
welcome.  I was not expecting to retire Brie this early, but as usual,
she made up her own mind.  :)

--
Julie McG
National Association of Guide dog Users board member,  National