[nagdu] an interesting conversation I just had

Kristen kskristen at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 22:21:53 UTC 2013

I had a similar experience today with my dog on an O&M lesson.

The instructor attempted to direct me on how to properly command
Corvette, even though she then admitted that she has no experence
working with guide dogs. She kept turning us around, making
Corvette very confused and unable to move forward. She wouldn't
let him use the bathroom when he was anxious (that is always how
I know when he has to go). I couldn't do anything right for her
today.

She later yanked my arm and his leash to make us go the way she
wanted. I moved my hand, so that I was holding on to her, but she
said: "You're not even doing sighted guide correctly; does your
mother let you get away with this when you hold on to her?" (She
said that I needed to have my fingers on one side of her arm and
my thumb on the other - like a pop can - whereas I put my whole
hand around someone's arm.) When Corvette was extremely confused
because of her, I asked her if she could guide me back to the
car, but she refused. Later, she told me that I need to take the
time to practice with Corvette because he is losing skills, which
is untrue.

I think you did the right thing with the person walking with you.
People who know nothing about guide dogs have no say. We have
been through training and know what to do in these instances.

--
Kristen