[nagdu] Anal Glands Re: (no subject)

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Thu Nov 28 19:16:36 UTC 2013

Bobette,

I've never had issues with my dogs, but did do some pressure relieving
of her anal glands a couple of times just to say I had done it. Then I
made sure my groomers do it. /lol/

To relieve pressure, you can use a warm compress, with some Epsom salts
if you have them. You can use warm, damp paper towels, which can be
thrown away, or a warm, damp cloth. What comes out is oily and smelly,
so I would recommend two or three paper towels stacked and folded in
quarters. Place them over the glands for a moment, then apply light
pressure to bring out some of the fluid to make the dog more comfortable.

Do you know where the glands are? If you don't, I will go feel my
sister's male dog to find out.

If the glands are a problem, having a vet express the anal glands if you
can is the way to go. But you can make your dog more comfortable in the
meantime.

hth

Tami