[nagdu] walking in to people

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Mon Oct 7 19:09:07 UTC 2013

My dog does this as well, and it makes me crazy.  I agree with Marion
here.  You can ask those people to stay where they are while you
rework or to go back to their places.  I have found that not only do
they understand, but most of the time they are interested in helping
out.

When my dog runs me into someone, I quickly correct(not too hard),
just hard enough so that she knows she did something wrong.  Then I
stop, and attempt to rework.  Yes, sometimes this is impossible
because the people have already moved, but it does work occasionally.
I would also advise you to listen to where people are.  You can hear
them when they are standing in the middle of the hallway or room
having a conversation, and you can tell if your dog is heading
straight for them rather than around them.  That way if your dog is
about to run into someone, you can stop and get your dog to think a
little about what she is about to do.

Sometimes these dogs think that they own the walkway.  People
constantly getting out of our way just reinforces this belief in their
minds.  They do get a little lazy, but it isn't all their fault.  In
their minds, if something works out for them, then they are rewarded
for it.  It's basic classical conditioning.

--
Julie McG
National Association of Guide dog Users board member,  National